Outsourcing report development as a managed service is becoming increasingly common.
In the age of big data, companies are finding it challenging to utilize their existing data to its full potential. The value is not in the data, it is in how the data is interpreted and accessed. The goal of business analytics is to collect, organize, and display relevant data to key stakeholders.
In the current environment where every company is seeking cost cutting measures, outsourcing non-core activities to experienced third parties is becoming increasingly common. Business Intelligence, data management, and report development are some key examples of managed services that vendors offer to such companies.
Vendors such as IBM, are redefining the managed services concept that was earlier limited to application support. Specifically, outsourcing report development has become part of the strategic thinking process for a growing number of companies who leverage the data at their disposal.
Key questions when managing report development:
- How to find a technology expert who can leverage data and generate reports for business units, in a short period of time?
- What would be the most cost effective manner to have a long term relationship with someone who can bring resource pooling agility and reduce the risks associated with staff turnover?
These days vendors provide report development as a managed service to their clients. Vendors work with their customers on various projects with the help of their dedicated global team.
Benefits of using a managed service for report development:
- Overhead cost control: Managed services help reduce the IT department’s overhead costs by providing an efficient alternative to in-house report development and query writing. This also frees up management to focus on more strategic endeavours.
- Agile process: Managed services enable agility and scalability of report development at highly competitive rates.
- Access to experts: Companies get easy access to expert report developers. Companies can tap into world-class expertise and higher quality at a fraction of the cost of hiring or contracting a specialist – this is especially true when migrating from one reporting system to another.
- No risk of losing skills from staff turnover: Companies eliminate risks of losing critical skills in a volatile employment market and lessen the need to hire and ramp up new employee talent for extremely critical technology(ies).
- Continuous availability and on demand bandwidth: Vendors who provide local delivery and global report development offer 24 X 7 services to their clients. Additionally, companies benefit from the flexible bandwidth during development and release cycles.
- Industry standard IT governance: Good vendors make sure that there is industry standard IT governance that leads to extensive customer satisfaction. This will generate a higher value alternative to internal delivery and a higher success rate.
Managed services are not only limited to report development, they also extends to the complete business intelligence portfolio, including cloud offerings. We are seeing many vendors similar to Optimus expanding in this horizon to provide end-to-end business intelligence as a managed service, such as Teradata. In my view “Report Development as a Managed Service” is a flexible and needs-based model that allows companies to access resources at the most efficient price point.
Optimus provides report development services in Vancouver, Canada. We have expertise to develop cross-platform and cross-applications reports. We specialize in Mircosoft SSRS, Crystal Reports and other open source tools. If you would like to learn more about our report development process and experience, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to sit down and discuss your needs.
(image credit: lumaxart)