Report Migration from PowerBuilder to Crystal Case Study
The client is one of the largest providers of resource planning and management software solutions to the Forestry, Agriculture, Bioenergy, Environment and Land Conservation industries.
Our client wanted a BI partner who could quickly learn the functional aspects of their products.
It was important that this partner also become self-sufficient in a short time-frame. Since the client’s team’s band-width was already stretched thin, the key objective was to deliver quality service without increasing overhead.
– Convert their time-consuming PowerBuilder Reports into Crystal Reports.
– Reduce the load of their BizTalk server by generating XML for various modules locally.
– Make their application more user-friendly by introducing user workspace functionality.
– Test integrated third-party geographical tools like MapWindow.
- Analyze requirements and create test scenarios.
- Migrate PB Reports to Crystal Reports.
- Test and then release.
How Optimus Helped
Optimus began with an analysis of the client’s requirements and created test scenarios to help identify issues early.
We came up with a delivery model that consisted of four stages: the Knowledge Acquisition phase, the Shadow phase, the Transition phase, and the Delivery phase.
The help Optimus provided was also fourfold:
- Converted PowerBuilder Reports intoCrystal Reports; all challenges created by Crystal Report limitations were handled on the database side.
- Implemented PowerScript to handle XML tags and reduce the load on their BizTalk server.
- Provided various UI solutions to make the client’s applications more user-friendly.
- Conducted thorough testing of MapWindow and provided functional issue reports to the client.
As a result, the client was able to significantly speed up their delivery cycles and increase the scope of their releases.