Yellowfin BI Report Development Case Study
The client is an online billing solution delivered as a SaaS application for all kinds of business who sell products and services priced on the subscription models.
The client’s platform helps their customers define product catalogs and price products and services in almost any way. End customers include point of sale retailers, media, SaaS application providers, insurance providers, data as a service providers, ISPs and telecom companies.
The client wanted to develop business intelligence reports to provide added value for their end-customers. They needed a partner with experience in requirements analysis and report development to complete the project.
The reports were to be developed using Yellowfin BI on SQL Server 2008. The infrastructure was setup in the cloud on Amazon.
– The client needed detailed discussions before settling on the scope of the project.
– The client needed customized reports that are not available in a standard Yellowfin BI implementation.
- Learning project requirements and identifying what is possible and what is not.
- Developing proofs before finalizing report design.
- Implementing the reports.
- Performing a walkthrough with the client before delivering the report.
How Optimus Helped
The project unfolded as follows:
- Meeting to understand the scope of the project
- Categorizing the report list based on report type and complexity.
- Preparing a delivery plan.
- Gathering requirements for the report
- Setting up the infrastructure in the Amazon cloud with appropriate licenses and access level.
- Developing reports.
- Performing a report walk through with the client.
- Delivering reports once they are approved by the client.
Optimus set up a development environment on the Amazon cloud where the Yellowfin BI development licensed version was deployed. The infrastructure setup required some coordination with Yellowfin BI support team.
Optimus used Oracle SQL developer to access the Oracle data warehouse and gain an initial understanding of the database architecture.
The final setup was split in to three components:
- The client’s Oracle data warehouse stored all of the data.
- The Oracle data warehouse sends data to a Yellowfin BI database on Optimus cloud infrastructure.
- SQL Queries are then run on the Yellowfin BI database to produce reports.
With OptimusBI’s help, the client was able to better leverage their data to gain business insight and improve decision making.