REST API Test Automation for Connected Car Platform Case Study
Our client is activating the connected car economy to provide today’s drivers with an empowered driving experience. Their 3G+GPS device connects drivers to their car at all times, delivering unparalleled insights on what’s happening under the hood and behind the wheel. Apps and services on their platform provide accurate, near real-time, contextual information to drivers and enterprises to keep them better informed on and off the road.
Our client was currently testing their API’s manually, which was time-consuming and labour intensive. They were looking for an outsourcing partner who could created automated test scripts to test their REST APIs.
The testing included creating HTTP requests, sending those to the server and retrieving the response in JSON to parse and validate it. The REST API automation was to be integrated with the continuous integration tool TeamCity and be part of their smoke test to be executed on daily builds.
How Optimus Helped
In order to help our client meet their testing needs, Optimus followed these steps:
- Quickly understood the requirements and created a high level plan consisting of different API methods, estimate and schedule.
- Explored Frisby (open source) framework for automation as suggested by the client. Coding to be done in Coffeescript language.
- Optimus included OAuth2 client and jasmine libraries for generating requests and parsing the response.
- Optimus created the test scenarios in Coffeescript language.
- Optimus automated the REST APIs and integrated with TeamCity for scheduling for daily builds.
- Understood the client’s automation requirements.
- Created a test plan to indicate the different activities with milestones and estimates.
- Created test scenarios in Frisby.
- Automated code in Coffeescript language.
- Integrated automated suite with TeamCity.
- Logged defects and reported test results.