Testing of a Customized ERP Report Case Study
The client is a multinational shipping company that requires on-demand financial reporting.
Reporting is an invaluable competitive advantage to this client as they use insight gained to make better business decisions.
Our client had migrated data from their old financial application, JD Edwards, to a new application, Microsoft Dynamics AX.
They had also migrated data from their old operations management application, Danaos, to a newer application, IMOS.
Our client was looking to test the reports that were developed during the migration for query optimization, data, performance, functionality and security access.
– Domain knowledge of shipping industry was required.
– Technical knowledge of SSRS and Crystal Reports was mandatory.
– Quick turnaround of QA was required as the deployment deadlines for the applications were approaching.
– Reconciliation reports using multiple data sources needed extensive testing.
- Create test cases and run reports.
- Validate data and functionality.
- Identify defects.
- Share test results with report developers.
How Optimus Helped
Our Vancouver team worked closely with our client’s business users to understand the report requirements. This helped ensure that the test plan covered all possible end-user scenarios. Then our team documented test cases and results to confidently demonstrate that requirements were being met.
Extensive testing was needed for the reconciliation reports as they consolidated data from multiple systems. This testing confirmed that both the reports and the interfaces themselves were working correctly.
In the cases where reports were not meeting requirements or had defects, we worked closely with report developers to remedy problems.
Our team’s report development experience using SSRS and Crystal Reports brought significant value to the project. We have a good understanding of the shipping industry having previously worked with this client on several other projects.