Automated Regression Testing for Desktop Application Case Study
The client is a restaurant point of sale pioneer providing end-to-end POS solutions, including software, hardware and support, to the hospitality industry.
Our Client was looking to automate their regression test suite with 6000+ test cases for their desktop-based POS application to minimize the effort required to execute them whenever any changes are done to the application.
They wanted to have a robust framework and portable scripts which can be executed on different machines. They also wanted to be able to add or remove test scenarios with minimal changes in code.
- Determine which regression test scenarios are appropriate for automation.
- Create test plan.
- Create testing framework, scripts and data.
- Create test results report.
How Optimus Helped
We talked to the client to get a clear understanding of their needs and their application and proposed a data driven framework using AutoIT.
Once we were clear on the client’s needs, we delivered in the following stages.
- Create a high-level test plan to provide visibility on effort estimation, deliverables and test approach.
- Create a framework using AutoIT tool and VBScript where all scripts, functions, test data are defined and managed.
- Create a user interface with AutoIT to manage configurations and make selection of test scripts more convenient.
- Filter out unnecessary test scenarios from the regression test suites and created test scripts with multiple sets of test data to obtain maximum coverage.
- Configure an Excel work book to capture Pass/Fail test results and make it easy to share the results after test execution.
The Optimus team delivered a robust and effective test suite which reduced the customer’s test cycle significantly.